Then & Now Photos
Community Med Center, 1430 S. High St., photographed on June 15, 2017. Sight of the former Mercy Hospital.
(Schott) Grant Hospital in this undated black and white photo and Grant Hospital photographed in 2017. [Fred Squillante/Dispatch.
Nationwide Children's Hospital photographed January 13, 1974 and June 15, 2017.
A postcard of the St. Anthony's Hospital on the East Side of Columbus with their 1954 wing addition . It is now known as Ohio State University Medical Center East.
A 1947 black and white photo of University Hospital and looking northeast Ohio State University in 2017 at the Wexner Medical Center.
Looking east over downtown Columbus and the Greater Columbus Convention Center. I-670, Hilton
Looking north toward downtown Columbus along the Scioto River at Scioto Audubon Park.
Intersection of Spring St. and High St., looking North
In 1995, a dominant feature of downtown Columbus was the City Center Mall, seen on the right here looking north on High Street. Today, the mall is gone, demolished in 2009. In its place is the Columbus Commons green space. High Street is no longer visible from this vantage point because of the apartment building built next to the Commons.
For decades, one of the best known features of Columbus was the Neil House hotel across High Street from the Statehouse. Built in 1925, it had 650 rooms and hosted a variety of celebrities through the years before closing in 1980. Today, the view from that spot shows the Statehouse reflected in the glass front of the 37-floor Huntington Center.
Dave Thomas opened his first Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers at 257 E. Broad St. in downtown Columbus in November, 1969. Thousands more restaurant followed, but the original closed in 2007. Today the building houses The Catholic Foundation.
Columbus Clippers players warm up in 2008 on the field of Cooper Stadium, which had hosted various Columbus baseball teams since it was built as Red Bird Stadium in 1932. The team moved to a new Downtown ballpark in 2009, leaving the old park to rust away as development plans remain stalled today.
An October, 1986 aerial shot of downtown Columbus. The view overlooks the Capitol South development, six months after the groundbreaking for the Columbus City Center. Now, the Columbus Commons stands in the Center’s place after it closed in 2009. The Commons features gardens, green space, a stage, a carousel, a reading room and a cafe.
Looking north onto Broad Street at what has and hasn't changed, just east of High Street from the Statehouse grounds. The building on the far right in the first photo, the Board of Trade Building, no longer exists and was replaced by the Rhodes State Office Tower. The building on the far left, the Deshler Hotel, is also gone. The four buildings in the center still exist today, now featuring Broad & High Multimedia.